Senior Physician - Office of Medical Services
Reports to: Director, Office of Medical Services
The position holder serves as a full-time occupational health physician for The American University in Cairo community members, providing medical care addressing issues which relate to keeping personnel on the job healthy, treating on the job injuries and illnesses, providing emergency care for all members of the AUC community and primary health care for all members of the AUC community including treating chronic diseases that affect employee or student performance. Duties will be performed at AUC New Cairo, AUC Tahrir Square or the Zamalek Discriminatory.
- Perform pre-employment medical examinations and notify human resources of determination of fitness, annual physical examination of all drivers and any fitness for duty physicals requested by the Office of Medical Services.
- Evaluates, interprets, reviews and records patient history and clinical findings discovered in pre-employment medical examinations. Selects appropriate action and initiates treatment or referral within the scope of medical licensing guidelines
- Evaluates, treats and documents all medical issues deemed pertinent to the safe performance of an employee’s duties and students’ life including but not limited to acute injuries and illnesses that develop while an employee is on the job or a student is on campus.
- Maintains complete and legible medical records of all AUC community members’ visits to the health unit and safeguards all written and verbal medical information gathered.
- Generates and performs follow-up of Occupational Incident Reports and interfaces with the EHS department for appropriate remediation.
- Attends continuing medical education sessions as available, maintains a personal responsibility in retaining up-to-date medical knowledge. This includes but is not limited to learning about chemical/biological/radiation warfare issues.
- Oversees the development of quarterly reports on the medical issues at the clinic and uses them in cooperation with the EHS department to plan for occupational health and safety programs.
- Conducts hospital and home visits as appropriate.
- Participates in medical duty call as arranged with other members of the medical services team.
- May be required to respond to a local hospital in the case of a life-threatening situation involving an AUC community member.
- May be required to attend to AUC on an emergency basis at any time.
- Must provide health promotion information as part of all patient encounters. This may include providing written material or may take the form of patient counseling.
- Must be able to conduct health education programs to include first aid, CPR/AED, HIV/STD, smoking cessation, weight control and chemical, biological and radiation warfare issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum education requirement: Medical doctor plus a residency program in internal medicine or occupational health required. Must possess valid Egyptian medical license pending no legal action.
- Experience: Minimum of six years of progressively responsible work experience as a practicing occupational health physician required. Preferably in a similar work environment. Proof of current certification in Basic Life Support.
- Excellent proficiency in English and Arabic is required, both written and spoken. Medical documentation and official reports must be prepared in English.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable in the diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury. Knowledge and commitment to the principals of occupational medicine.
- Medical skills and ability should be equal to those of generally accepted medical standards. Must be flexible and a life-long learner. Basic word processing, Internet and e-mail skills required.